Monday, March 9, 2009

Pulling teeth.

To begin this tale we must travel back in time to Feb. 19th. I was helping Cooper brush his teeth before bed, when I noticed he had a new tooth growing behind one tooth on the bottom. I thought that was weird and maybe I should take him to or call the dentist. When James got home that weekend I showed him my discovery and he too thought it was odd. While sitting in church, it came to me, (Ding, Lightbulb!), maybe his other tooth is loose. So I tried it, and sure enough it was. I could hardly believe that my little boy is old enough to lose teeth....he'll be five soon, but come on, has anyone else heard of a 4 1/2 year old loosing teeth? Well, since then we've been "trying" to get in there and wiggle it. Grampa Dave even offered Cooper $5 to pull it by himself or $10 to let him have a go at it. Cooper graciously let Grampa try a few times, but I think it started to hurt and he had had enough. He even let Uncle Dusty try a couple of times. Then just last Thursday he let Grama Nina try tugging it out with floss, it was hard to get the floss on that little thing, so Grama wanted to try pliers. I have to say I was a little surprised Cooper went with that plan.

Grama had to answer the phone, so she gave Cooper the pliers...with supervision, he tried, here's a quick video and how long that lasted...
I figured once he started pulling his tongue, the pliers idea wasn't going to work.
After that James and I tried to get in there and pull it, but he would just fuss and get mad.
Finally, to the present.
This morning Wonder Woman came to our house with Mr. T to play for awhile. She had just gone to the dentist herself and had a tooth removed. She showed Cooper where her tooth used to be. He was very interested in this, and kept asking to see it over and over. As I was chatting with my friend, Cooper exclaims, "I got it! It's out!" He came over and handed to WW and says, "I got it, here it is." Just like that. Wonder Woman Rocks! We did a victory dance and cheered for our little man.
You can already see his new tooth behind the little hole.

And so ends our 1st Tooth adventure, with more to come, but really there's no hurry.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

When I was little, I had several teeth like that- like a shark with the new one coming in before the old one fell out! Is the tooth fairy going to pay a visit?

Matt and Carla said...

Oh my, that does seen so early to loose a tooth, but typically around five so guess it's not that early! My kids all get their teeth way late after a year old (they just gumm all of their solid foods for awhile, it's funny) so they loose their baby teeth later than the norm, but they are always so jelous of all of their kindergarten friends who get visits from the tooth fairy and they are still waiting...

Greg & Jen said...

I'm glad it finally came out! I still think it a bit odd... At least he won't have too much of a toothless smile since it's already growing in.